Saturday, 12 July 2008

World Youth day

I have just been reading in my local newspaper about World Youth day. The paper states that it costs the taxpayers $163 million. I read comments from a couple of local students that are attending. They said, "Religion and church is just so boring. It doesn't seem like there is much behind it." and another, "Definitely these days we're just so busy, and religion falls to the background except when you need it, such as when you lose someone or when you feel alone."

This is what the official web site says it's about...
World Youth Day is an invitation from the Pope to the youth of the world to celebrate their faith around a particular theme. The WYD08 theme, received from Pope Benedict XVI is:
'You will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses.' Acts 1:8
This passage occurs after the death and resurrection of Jesus, just before his ascension to the Father. It represents the birth of the Church.


So these students are going to celebrate their faith. I wonder what their definition of faith is.


The good that will come out of this event, is that it will be talked about, in all sorts of context and in all sorts of social gatherings. I will be praying for those who do attend the event, that they have faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord, and that they dedicate their lifes to Him.

1 comment:

maria said...

I saw the Pope arriving in Australia on the news tonight. Good prayer point.