Wednesday, 2 January 2008

Leadership

Courageous leadership simply means I've developed:

(1) Convictions that are stronger than my fears.

(2) Vision that is clearer than my doubts.

(3) Spiritual sensitivity that is louder than popular opinion.

(4) Self-esteem that is deeper than self-protection.

(5) Appreciation for discipline that is greater than my desire for leisure.

(6) Dissatisfaction that is more forceful than the status quo.

(7) Poise that is more unshakeable than panic.

(8) Risk-taking that is stronger than safety-keeping.

(9) Actions that are more robust than rationalisation.

(10) A desire to see potential reached more than to see people pleased.'

I took the above from 'The word for today', which I recieve by email each morning. Last year, at work, I was asked to go on a committee that makes decissions for my whole team. The team thought that as I am able to articulate myself well, that I would be the best spokes person for them. However they probably don't realise that I am a bit of a people pleaser. I don't like the feeling of having others off side, and in the past six months of having this position, it has held me back from being assertive.
So when I read the above this morning, I thought how appropiate it was to my situation. I have printed a copy of it to put up in a place that I can refer to often, with the aim that it will remind me that I won't be able to please everyone all of the time and the right decision may not be the most popular one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your just leaping ahead!!!! Wonder how I can utilise that with the twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shar said...

What a great quote gail. Gee I could have used that over the last few years. Good on you for recognising this in yourself too, i THINK YOU TEAM MAY HAVE CHOSEN YOU FOR A FEW MORE REASONS THAN YOU THINK! :-).

Shar said...

ooops...sorry for yelling - didn't realise I was typing in caps

maria said...

For some reason I never would have taken you as a people-pleaser Gail. I've had this image of you being your own person and not being affected by others.. isn't it amazing how we just 'assume' things? But I can relate a lot to what you've written here. I also don't like it when I feel people are offside. My husband isn't that way at all and often I'll see him as negative and cynical..as he always seem to disagree with me. He does have an element of that in him..(he tends to be too critical in his outlook and opinions of people) but sometimes I'm just lamenting that we aren't more similar. It's nice to have a friend or yes, even your spouse share the same opinion as you. At least some of the time!

I'll have to copy/paste your list, it will be good to reflect on.