I am making a quilt. Bizarre as I gave up on sewing ages ago due to numerous reasons, but I have been inpired by a friend's work and with her reassurance of 'it's not that hard' , the idea took root.
A few days later, the inspiration came and I drew a design and then like a kid in a candy shop I went fabric shopping.
Unable to wait for the suggested intro lesson, I have taken off fuelled with excitement and determination, but little skill or experience.
Of course my inspiration goes a bit beyond the 'simple quilt' idea I was given, and I was soon swamped with oopsies, and doubt, however I have plodded on and I am enjoying doing the hand sewing, and gaining much pleasure at seeing my idea take form. My saving thought being that the 'scrappy, handmade' look is the go.



3 comments:
NICE Blog :)
It's nice to get 'fired up' about something.. I hope the quiltmaking process continues to bring you joy! I once bought a pattern to make a ladies shirt. About $30 later and not being able to understand the pattern I abandoned the project halfway through.. I felt like the biggest dill and like I should have just bought myself a shirt! However, one of my work colleagues came to work every day in clothes she made herself. Her and her Mum owned a bridal shop and made all the dresses! (She made mine too which she hired to me.. as I couldn't afford to buy it.. it was my 1st wedding). I wanted so much to be good at sewing.. but after years of trying to knit and crochet and sew I have accepted that I'm just not gifted in those area's. It takes me twice as long or longer to do tasks other skilled people.. I find it really hard.. and I lose interest.
Keep going and I hope you show us your handy-work at some point? :-)
Would love to see you quilt sometime gail...good luck with it!
Post a Comment