Friday, 18 January 2008

Relative of ours

While browsing the local library, I stumbled upon this book by Lynette Oates. Lynette is the daughter of my father in law's cousin, and lives locally.
I had heard talk of her in the past, regarding her travel and her study of languages, but had no actual clue as to waht she was involved with. Well this book explains all that. It is about the history of the Wycliffe Bible Translators in Australia. It has a forward by the Reverend Tim Costello, and already at a glance has enlightened me to the life's work that this lady and her husband have done. She has worked in Papau New Guinea, Phillipines and also outback Australia, translating the bible into the local language. The book mentions that the bible has already 2000 translations and there are about 3000 more languages waiting for it. Wow! I never knew that there were so many languages.

2 comments:

maria said...

How interesting.. you have married into interesting lineage there!

Translating the bible.. I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

I just noticed your note on Bible translation. What a legacy for your family! If you're interested in finding out more about Wycliffe, go to http://www.wycliffe.org/. I help maintain this website to help get the word out about the work that people like your relatives have been working on.

Ivy