Thursday, 7 August 2008

So tired

It's one of those days, where at any given moment you feel like having a snooze, especially if you find yourself in a well heated room, or indeed sheltered in a sunny outside spot. This feeling is due to an overly committed week.

Monday night I went to a parent support group, Tuesday night I went to bible study, Wednesday night I went to the hall committee meeting, but tonight I'm staying home, but alas I have a meeting related phone call to make. But I do intend on having a reasonably early night.

Let me tell you my scary story about Monday night. I was going to a new meeting and was told that I should be able to park below the building [newly built medical centre], but if I had any trouble getting in due to them locking up and security to just phone the porganiser on her mobile.

So I arrive just before 7pm [dark] and find the downstairs carpark open, so drive on down. There are only about six cars there and no one in sight. I lock up and get out to see three lifts. I don't like lifts, so I consider the stairs, but as they are behind a door, and appeared a tad creepy, I go back to the lift option.

Two lifts look ultra modern with minimum buttons etc, the third has a sign warning not to be used. So I press a button and wait. Nothing happens. No lights, to indicate it's working, no bells, no open door. However I hear a rumbling noise, and as I turn around, I see that it's a big grid gate closing off the entrance. Great. I check my mobile and it has hardly no reception. Heart flutters. Then the lift opens and a guy walks to his car. I explain my deleima and he uses his security card to operate the lift. Can't get me to the third floor, so says to go to the fourth, then go around to the stairwell and walk down.

So the door closes, I'm alone in the lift [I really don't like lifts], and after a quick prayer, I get to the fourth floor. I get out and walk around to the stairwell, behind the door, I open it and start to walk down. This is like in the movies, all painted white, concrete steps and no decorations, echos as I step. I'm relieved to see the third level door, I grab the handle, it's locked.

Then I use the mobile to phone the organiser, she says hello, I rapidly explain the problem, her end is dead, no response.

So I go back to the lift area on the fourth floor, and I spot a guy cleaning. I tell him the problem, and he takes my into the third, not to use, lift, and uses his card to go to the third floor. I get out and my phone rings. It's the organiser, asking where I am. I tell her and she says to stay put, she'll come to meet me.

She arrives with other attendees, and all is well. This whole 'drama' only lasted a heart racing ten minutes, and I've concluded that I really must stop watching so much TV.

1 comment:

maria said...

Yikes, that experience would have probably been the last time I attended that place at night. It sounded so deserted.. and just a hard meeting to get to! Glad it worked out though.