This was yesterday while on an excursion with school. I have a huge fear of these delightful creatures, and hence initially I was the photographer, getting happy snaps of the children who were brave enough to touch the snake. Many would tense up on touching the snake, and then gradually relax as they became accustomed to it. The teacher that I was with was then brave enough to have the snake drapped around her neck like a scarf. Then it was my turn. No, I wouldn't have it around my neck, but I could hold part of it the way that some of the kids had. Oh, ok, so I can hold all of it, if the head is put downwards near my knees and so I'm just really near the body and tail. That's ok. Oh, and it's a good idea to look at the camera and pretend it's not there, yep, I could do that. Though I wasn't at all relaxed, the fear did simmer. But then the photo was taken and I looked at the snake, only to have the head of the snake at my shoulder height, looking back at me. A quick pass back to the handler fixed that, as a shudder went through me. overcome my fear? I think not, but definitely a step in the right direction.Wednesday, 6 August 2008
Overcoming fear
This was yesterday while on an excursion with school. I have a huge fear of these delightful creatures, and hence initially I was the photographer, getting happy snaps of the children who were brave enough to touch the snake. Many would tense up on touching the snake, and then gradually relax as they became accustomed to it. The teacher that I was with was then brave enough to have the snake drapped around her neck like a scarf. Then it was my turn. No, I wouldn't have it around my neck, but I could hold part of it the way that some of the kids had. Oh, ok, so I can hold all of it, if the head is put downwards near my knees and so I'm just really near the body and tail. That's ok. Oh, and it's a good idea to look at the camera and pretend it's not there, yep, I could do that. Though I wasn't at all relaxed, the fear did simmer. But then the photo was taken and I looked at the snake, only to have the head of the snake at my shoulder height, looking back at me. A quick pass back to the handler fixed that, as a shudder went through me. overcome my fear? I think not, but definitely a step in the right direction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment