Wednesday, 5 March 2008

Feeling Happy

Today my eldest turned 18 and it is a real milestone for us. When you have a baby, it seems to come to mind that you are in charge of them until they are 18 and then they automatically then look after themselves. Well I hate to disillusion any one but it doesn't quite work like that. At 18 they are given yet another level of 'rights' but not necessarily the responsibilities to go with them. However, I am really happy that our 18 year old is still living at home, and has an amicable relationship with her family.

1 comment:

maria said...

Aww, happy birthday to your 18 year old girl !! Indeed a milestone! Your description of what it really means to have an 18 year old child kind-of comforted me because I can't imagine (yet) my girl flying the coop to be completely independent. Some leave home earlier than that.. (my sister left home at 16).

But anyway.. she's my only child.. and I'll be leaving so much to God as I continue to navigate my way through the various stages of parenthood. This current one "pre-teen" has me exhausted already.

Any special celebrations? Drivers licences?