This was the topic that arose from our bible study last night. Our leader has intentions of leading us through certain topics and so often he is way laid by our rising needs, and last night that need was to have the basic, yet complex question answered of, 'What is a Christian?'
Mmmm, we could all come up with ideas but what does the bible say?
Well the actual word 'Christian' rarely gets a mention as it was so named 'after' the event, so to speak, but as to what a Chrisitian is, well that can be sought, and so seek we did.
We looked at Romans 2 :16-17
"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes, first for the jew , then for the gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith, from first to last, just as it is written. The righteous will live by faith."
Note that it does not say that we will live by works. It's not what we 'do' but by FAITH.
Then have a look at Romans 3:22
Also take a peek at Galatians 2:16
So FROM God the gospel reveals righteousness, and to be right with God is by faith, and we are to have faith in His son, Jesus Christ.
So what is a Christian?
A Christian is someone who God declares righteous.
Did I mention that it's NOT BY WORKS? lol



1 comment:
Indeed..and I hear you, but I'm also drawn to James chapter 2:14-25(NIV)
Faith and Deeds
14/What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15/Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16/If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17/In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18/But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds."
Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.
19/You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.
20/You foolish man, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless? 21/Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? 22/You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. 23/And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness"and he was called God's friend. 24/You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.
25/In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction? 26/As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.
-----------------
If you don't put your faith to work.. then you can end up being entangled in sin. We still need to be saved from the consequences of sin which can destroy us. And if we aren't partaking in some good works, then we aren't being 'the light' for Jesus and drawing people to his kingdom or eternal salvation.
Our church is constantly plugging works and outreach to the point where it causes me anxiety sometimes as I don't have my 'own house' in order. I wonder how on earth I'm going to do everything that is required of me. ie. How do I keep up with what the church wants me to do, do helpful 'works' to benefit others.. yet stay afloat myself. But I do get it.. it's what makes us stand out as Christians.. being 'the light'.
Matthew 5:16 "..In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven".
In the Beatitudes (Matthew 5) there's a whole list of the things we should be, because it tells us we're blessed if we're these things and I think God wants us to be blessed. Eg. merciful, meek, pure in heart etc. I also read from it that we should stand strong when we're poor in spirit or persecuted, in mourning or insulted. The word 'Christian' isn't used, but I think it's clear how the Lord wants us to conduct ourselves and it goes beyond having faith.
Galations 2: 19-20
"19/For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20/I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me".
Dying to the law and living for God I think includes turning away from sin and making right choices, which I think is still "good works" and refers to how we behave and conduct ourselves. All the while accepting Jesus who cleanses us from our sin when we repent of it. I've heard it before.. we need to walk out our faith.. not just have faith alone that even demons have.. if you get what I mean?
There's no denial of course that you can't have eternal salvation without faith, but as far as what we Christians need to be, I think it's important that we live our lives beyond the realm of possessing faith... and from reading your blog post.. I kind-of get the message that "faith" is all that's needed, period, don't worry about the rest (which may not have been your intention at all). ie. "Professing without possessing".
We gotta have faith and believe in Christ.. indeed, but we have to live *for* him too --that's the heart of what I wanted to say :-)
((hugs)) xox
Post a Comment