Thursday, 5 June 2008

What do you think?




These pictures are part of a feature in this months Marie Claire magazine. [The orange type says 'Got Faith?']

Various advertising companies were asked for input and this is what they came up with . This is what the web site says....

World Youth Day will draw half a million young Catholics to Sydney in July, but for many other Australians, the church has become irrelevant. Can Jesus Christ become a superstar again? Melissa Field approached the country's top advertising agencies and asked them to sell salvation.

What do you think?

Regardless of my opinion, I am hoping that the feature may spark an interest, a curiosity and maybe even a calling. Faith is so missing in today's society. In the past week I have had a variety of people asking me 'What is happening with today's youth?' They are asking, as they see a lack of respect, a lack of passion, a lack of empathy and a lack of responsibility.

2 comments:

maria said...

I guess it's better than some billboards I see around.. but yeah.. it seems weird.. a tad. Advertising companies being paid to plug salvation when there's no substance behind it other than dollar incentives. But I guess God could use even that too to draw a lost sheep towards him. That can never be discounted.

Is it spreading the gospel? Or trying to draw people in from a worldly, unannointed foundation? Advertised products are usually fads.. pitched at consumers that move from one thing to the next. I'd be concerned about what campaigns the unsaved folk would come up with.. because the enemy could also bare influence... in the most subtle ways..that could compromise God's word. Advertising can repel as much as it draws-in.

The bra ad I'm guessing wouldn't be endorsed by my church.. it wouldn't be seen as the most tasteful of the bunch. And slogans like "Got faith?" are devoid of Jesus.. even an unbeliever can have faith in things. It's such a broadly used term, especially in todays 'new age' society.. like the word 'spirituality'.

Unless these campaigns are holy-spirit inspired and led.. I'd question (and be wary of) the fruit they would produce. Jesus should be more than todays 'Buzz' word or bus stop poster.. here today, gone tomorrow. I'd rather church-created banners and posters. Though I hate to sound cynical. The best advertising we can do is just be that light.. a light for God.. bearing fruit and they will know us by our fruit. And want what we have.

maria said...

p.s. beautiful sunrise photo!