
In my early days of working with a child on the autism spectrum, I had the desire to know 'autism' and not just one child with autism. In my quest for knowledge, I joined a local parent support group called OAKS [our autistic kids] with the analogy of from small things [acorns] big things grow [oak trees]. This group organised big events like conferences, with speakers such as Wendy Lawson, to smaller ones like family gatherings.
The group eventually disbanded, however I received a flyer the other day announcing the beginning of another group [by the same core group] called OATS [our autistic teenagers]. So today I attended their first gathering of interested parties, both parents and others. The goal will be to support these children and their families as they go through their teenage development and beyond. One of the aims will be to have a santuary for them. A place where their teens can attend socail gatherings within a comfortable frame work. Where they won't be considered 'different'.My own personal aim is for community education. To take away the assumptions of the general public that everyone has to react and behave in a certain way. To not judge, to not point and whisper [or worse, offer ill informed and unwanted advice], and not to make up their own conclusions.
To me, autism is a brilliant way of thinking, it has inspired me to see the many small wonders and miracles that each of us overlook on a daily basis.
We do need to help these individuals live in our society, but it is also vital to maintain their identity.
Just like I may like to experience life in Japan and learn enough to fit in to their society, but I do not want to become japanese.
Anyway, today's meeting was great. I felt really alive being part of this energetic group who are motivated to improve the life of their children and others.



1 comment:
I'm glad you enjoyed the meeting Gail, it's wonderful you have a heart for it.
Post a Comment