O.k. so it's Christmas eve.
What does Christmas mean to you?
Why do you celebrate Jesus's birthday on December 25th?
Why do you put up a christmas tree?
Why do you give and receive presents?
Why do you put a wreth on your door?
Why do you allow santa into your home?
Wht makes red and green and silver and gold 'christmas' colours?
I am realising why I do these things, and knowing that next year it will be different.
Stay tuned.
However, for those who are celebrating Christmas this year, I wish you a wonderful day honouring our Lord.



2 comments:
Howdy precious lady,
I actually have something to 'add' re: Christmas and its meaning, including religious themed Christmas cards which was influenced by a 'group email' sent two years ago by Paul's friends (from his old church). They were overseas as a family, in America, on a mission trip with their three small children. Anyway they explained in their personal email to friends/family that they wouldn't be seeking to thread a 'Jesus' theme into Christmas. eg. looking for cards with religious themes anymore.
The reason for this was because nowhere in the Bible did it tell them that this is what they had to do. They pointed out that Christmas is a man-made tradition that people have blown-out to include turkey's and holly and wreath's and nativity scene's and gift giving etc. They likened Christmas to birthdays.. nice to come together with family/friends... and partake in an 'occasion'.. but their personal relationship with Christ is what mattered every day.. and there was no mandate to 'prove' their faith with their choice of cards or whether or not they owned a 'Nativity scene'. Not threading a 'baby Jesus' theme into Dec 25 celebrations was not going to offend God and often Christians felt they had to do the whole "Reason for the season"..when it was just a man-made 'cause to celebrate'. Jesus wasn't even born on December 25th.
And celebrating is ok. but they said the real, tangible reason for the season is what we see in the world.. ie. gifts, decorations, eating with family friends, parties etc. It exists because it's a man-made tradition and not a command from God. And buying gifts and eating food with friends and family & putting smiles on your kids faces can be part of 'loving' them which is all good.
They went on to say that their kids seemed to love having a tree and presents and they would partake in having these as it made the family happy..but their thanks to the Lord wasn't just something extended on that day. And there was no need to find a religious theme for cards beause it was the sentiment that mattered and everyone's personal relationship with Jesus.. in their hearts.
So yeah.. once upon a time I'd always look for the best 'religious' card as I love cards.. Now I look for glitter 'cos I like glitter. I can include my heartfelt sentiments in that..and even quote scripture if I want to..but I'm not too fussed about the picture anymore or about feeling guilty if I write 'Xmas' instead of 'Christmas' because nowhere in the Bible does it tell me it's wrong.. so that's it's a form of bondage.. trying to comply by appearing to do the 'right thing'. My every day attitude and walk is what matters to Jesus, not whether I worship him publicly with increased 'Christianese'-gusto in the month of December.
Hi Gail, I am new to blogging and I have been following Bring the Rain. I was reading the comments and read yours. I am writing to encourage you. I too gave my testimony in church a few years ago and I just want you to know that I will be praying for you.
I fell in love with the Lord about eight years ago and I had the same experiences with the church the she was talking about. Feelings of not belonging, not being good enough and the scariest one of all, that they would see my brokenness and be ashamed of me.
I am learning that the best way to show your faith is through your everyday life. Walk it out. Forgive yourself and forgive others. It's not something we can do by ourselves but through the power of the Holy Spirit we can do all things. Right.
Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
I have a dear friend, mature in her faith, that tells me, we are healed by the Word and by the word of our testimony.
God bless you.
Post a Comment