During my Pre-school Mothercraft Nurse course, I had the opportunity to do a few placements in the hospitals. My role was to experience all aspects of maternity [pre-natal, delivery and post- natal]. I distinctly remember being told by a mid wife, that the maternity ward is both the most joyous and most tragic place to work.
Fortunately on most occassions it was joyous as I saw numerous babies arrive into the the world. However I also experienced the other end of the spectrum, seeing a late miscarriage and a baby born with a terminal condition. It confirmed how fragile life is and although healthy babies are born daily, there is no guarantee.
I have three healthy teens, but my first pregnancy miscarried, and so I was very tentative in the early days of my pregnancy. The twelve week mark is a joyous milestone as it allows some confidence that the pregnancy will continue.
So to my news...
My eldest daughter is twelve weeks pregnant today. So that means that all going well, I will be a grandparent is 28 weeks. Now I have no problem with that first sentence, but my mind doesn't quite register the latter. I am sure it is something that I will adjust to.
So now that leaves the big question, what will I be called, mmm. I just don't see myself being called Nan or Gran, and Grandma is already taken by my mother. What has come to mind is GG. No, not of the equine variety, but as in Grandma Gail, Groovy Gran, Gorgeous Gail etc.
What do you think?
My husband, Mal, is known to his family as 'Sarge' and he thinks that he will stick to that. His family is big on nicnames. His mum is known as Skiet to all family members including the grandkids and it seems to pose no problems, so I am quite happy to think outside the circle.



2 comments:
Wow Gail! Congrats and hope it all goes wonderfully well for her.
My Mum didn't want the traditionals either and went with MaShir, her name is Shirley.
I am sure that something will come and it will stick.
Hugs
Congratulations on the 12 week mark, I hope your girl is feeling well. Has there been much morning sickness?
Post a Comment