Wednesday, 6 February 2008

Back to school

This is our first full week back into the school routine. For the past two days there has been some role reversal as I have gone to school each day [an an integration aide] and my eldest daughter has stayed home and done the housework [she begins college next week].
The first four days last week were ok, being two days with and two days without students, but this week it's back to reality. Early morning wake ups, morning routines, full school day, appointments after school and then the barage of notes to sign and read when I get home. Then evening routine, dinner and try to go to bed rather than unwinding on the recliner mezmarised by the tv. Oh and why is it that my fruit trees decide that first week back at work is a good time to have all their fruit ripe, when I have no time to harvest it? Each year is the same. I have endless days of holidays and then as soon as I go back to full on work routine, all the nectarines and tomatoes decide to be at their peek and need to be picked?
Actually collecting the tomatoes is a real life adventure at present as we have mozzies the size of house flyies that are lurking in the bushes ready to attack. So the challenge is to find a repellant that is most likely to work and cover yourself in it, then see how quick you can harvest as many tomatoes as you can with minimal bites. So often I forget the insect spray as I tend to go from collecting washing, to feeding ducks and oh I should grab some tomatoes. I must look like a raving luny with t-shirt held out to form a basket, and rapidly picking tomatoes [you do realise how small and plentiful the cherry ones are?], while conitually slapping my legs, neck and any other exposed part while I'm being biten alive. Even when I do put on the repellant, I always forget that when I hold out my top for collection, my back gets exposed, hence becomes prime taeget for attack.
I also have a laundry basket full of lavender waiting to be dealt with, as I harvested it Sunday night. At first I thought of bunching it up, but already it is dropping flowers everywhere while waiting for my attention. Do you know how potent lavender smells in small spaces?
When I was a teenager, my mum was involved in the mother's club at my sisters primary school and her role was to do the mother's day stall. Well we would have sacks of lavender donated for my mum and friends to put into lavender bags. it would be all stored into our small rumpus room which would quickly turn into a craft workshop. well for weeks prior to mothers day, our house would be heavy with the overpowering smell of lavender. That's just how our house is starting to small now. So I have decided to reduce it's bulk by deheading it and then allowing it to fully dry and then most likely use it for lavender bags [whichI will probably donate to the school for their mother's day stall]. Funnyhow the cycle goes on.lol
Anyway, it's a school morning, so back to the routine as my coffee is now finished.

Happy Birthday to Julie in England, I hope you have a great day!

1 comment:

maria said...

About 17 years ago-ish I planted what I thought were three or four tomato plants but they were CHERRY tomato plants.

I remember visiting friends and handing them over a kilo of cherry tomatoes and they thought I was being too generous. I told them I had made a point of counting how many I had picked which was 500 and something. And that was just on that day. These plants were tall and bushy and staked! I knew in future one bush would be ok!

Can you get any of your family to help maybe with the harvesting?

I would hate mozzies as big and plentiful as you described!

I do wish you the best as you take-off into the new school year. I'm thinking of you @camp now and hope all is going well!? :-)