Sunday, 13 May 2007

Mothers Day

Today it's Mothers day in Australia. I'm actually not a big fan of mothers day, as I believe that any time is a good time to appreciate you mum, and it is more meaningful to show that appreciation on any given day rather than a specified one.
Having said that, today was the perfect excuse to put aside my normal w/e routine and enjoy a picnic lunch with my folks. I gave my mum a book called 'The Knitters Club' because she is both an avid reader and knitter. I also knit, thanks for her patient guidance, but it is not a task that I find easy. Whereas she creates master pieces out of simple balls of fluff, and all within a few days.
My children also gave me a book, one that I had requested called 'Sophie's Journey'. It is the story of a brave young Australian girl, whom touched my heart as well as the nation's.
For myself, I purchased the DVD set of The Oprah Winfrey Show. I rarely see the show these days as I now work week days, but I have always liked her as an interviewer, and this DVD set is brilliant. I watched one of the discs on my p.c. yesterday as I sat scrapping at my desk. I found it funny, sad, heartwarming and uplifting, and that was all on one DVD, can't beat that for value!
However I think the best present for all N.E. Victorians was today's rain. It started while we were having lunch [thankfully we were under a gazebo], and continued steadily during the afternoon, such a beautiful sight and sound.

2 comments:

JOY said...

A very happy mothers day to you!

How wonderful you could share today with your mum.

Enjoy Oprah!

maria said...

I know I left a comment for someone at LITS re: getting the Oprah CD's..but can't remember if it was for you Gail.. isn't that terrible?! In that reply I said that I borrowed the Oprah discs one by one from our local video store late last year and enjoyed them thoroughly.

I agree that we shouldn't wait for a particular day to be honoured or to honour Mother's.. this is the same argument that is used for occasions like Valentine's day. That's true.. we should always be free to celebrate on another on any day of the year. But I have seen the other side to this too.

This Mother's Day my husbands brother invited us up to Ballarat and we met at a pub bistro for lunch. My brother in law had his wife and kids and his mother in law were there.. and that was a first. My hubby and his brother didn't talk for about 15 years and they only recently reconciled. Mother's Day was kind of the 'excuse' to get us all together as a family..otherwise it wouldn't have happened, not with all of us together just for the sake of it. It was good to go for a day trip too.. otherwise here at home.. my husband wouldn't have made me feel special. he's still forgotten where he put a book that I chose as a Mother's day present. It could have been a glum, boring day at home. My hubby says "you're not my mother"..so doesn't think he needs to pamper me in any way or make me feel special. Though I do feel like his mother most of the time.. LOL! He's not the father of my daughter either..so he doesn't understand why he'd make the day special for me. Yet he laps up the attention we give him on Father's Day when his own kids forget him.

Same for Valentine's day. It's taken me 3 years to prove to hubby that it isn't such an awful thing, despite the commercialism. We shouldn't cringe at celebrating one another. It's up to each of us of course if we do it..and how we do it. But if you're in a relationship that shows the signs of strain.. sometimes any excuse for focussing on each other is a good thing.. otherwise it's easy to just live our daily lives and not get that bunch of flowers or buy that card. Some guys out there buy cards at any time of the year to show their lady they care.. but some don't.. and sometimes days like Mother's day and Valentine's day are the only days a gal can look forward to..where she can almost count on being spoiled or if not spoiled, then just remembered and 'singled out' in some way. My father-in-law hates Valentine's day and says "I don't need someone to tell me when to show my wife love and affection". Yet.. each Valentine's day..he goes into the front yard and cuts a single rose for my mother-in-law. And he only ever does that on Mother's day.. her birthday.. and yes, Valentine's day. The rest of the time he's telling her to shut up.. telling her she talks too much.. whining about his dinner not being on the table and dishing out basic put-down's in general. Honestly I don't know how she puts up with him.

I also love it that at my girls school she can take $5 and buy something for me from the Mother's Day stall. When it was left to my husband to take her to the shops to get me a birthday present.. he failed. Time flew by.. and on the day (when I was taken out to brekky by someone else).. he rushed out to the shops while my girl was with her Dad..and he quickly bought something from a local gift shop and made my daughter sign the card. My daughter was sad about that as she really wanted to pick something out for me. So if not for Mother's day.. then the M/Day stall wouldn't exist at the school..and I wouldn't get those very special gifts my girl chooses especially for me. Big stores like KMart and Myer and Coles etc will always cash in on every occasion of the year..and will blatantly solicit your business and try to tug on your heart-strings..or tummy-strings for us foodies.. but it shouldn't make us resent the date on the calendar. We can make it what we want. But for those who choose to participate .. it can mean an excuse to be indulged in whatever small way.. at a time when maybe they might not have had any attention at all.

Anyway.. sorry for writing yet another long one.. I have to pick my husband up from work now. We have one car and share it! :-)