I love books, and I especially love book shops. No matter how wonderful libraries are [and I love them too], there's nothing like purchasing and opening a brand new book. Currently I have two books on the go. One being 'Sophie's Journey, which the kids bought me for mothers day, and the other 'The Weather makers', which I bought for myself yesterday. I do like novels, especially authors like Mauve Binchy and Catherine Cookson, but I don't make the time to indulge these days.
The other two books pictured are favourite of mine. Both have central characters who are on the autism spectrum. Child of Eternity is a true life account of a child who has connections with past lives. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, is purely fictional, but gives a humorous insight to the mind of a teenager with aspergers. Considering the author is neo typical, he has written an excellent novel.
My parents and my parents in law all love/loved books, and thankfully that appreciation has been passed on to all three of my children. If having time to be idle in town, they are more than keen to spend it at the library. My son has learnt the advantages of online book reserving, and hence is able to quickly access the next book in whatever series he is currently following. The ideal gift for my nearly eighteen year old, is a book voucher, so she can peruse the shelves of the local book store knowing she can make a purchase. In these days of high technology, is great to know that their imaginations are being expanded by the simple pleasure of reading. Being able to read is such a gift that I think many of us take for granted.



1 comment:
Oh Gail.. forgive me for not visiting your blog recently! When I visit my regular blogs I go to my 'favourites' and work my way down the list of blogs. Now.. I really thought for sure I had added you to that list. It's as if I can even remember doing it and seeing your name in the list. But it's *not* there. So when I've gone through and left comments for other blogs I've just made my way to the bottom of the list and just trusted that I'd visited everyone who I wanted to and usually do visit. But since you weren't in the favourites (much to my surprise) -I have overlooked you week after week. Can you forgive me? I am truly sorry.
It was important to me to check back on your new blog.. to support you and also catch up with your life and encourage you. But for that very reason, because you *are* a relatively new blog.. I hadn't yet got in the habit yet of visiting you. Aaaaugh!! So sorry!
Anyway you suddenly came to mind a few moments ago..and here I am.. I looked for your blog address at LITS to find my way here! I'm so glad you put books as the main topic of this latest post because I too like to have more than one on the boil (and can identify with some things that you wrote). I like to read non-fiction mainly. I keep planning to put a "what I'm reading" feature on my blog as I love to see feature's like this on other blog's..but I haven't got to it yet.. but thank you for reminding me!
It's great that your kids enjoy the library. We do too.. and many a-hot-summers-day we've sheltered in the airconditioned coolness of the library while waiting for a bus. However! We then want to stay as I inevitably find a great magazine I can't put down..and my girl is engrossed in something else too. Only thing is...we can't borrow as we have a fine of around the $40 mark. (Overdue fines) Prior to that we had a fine around the $60 mark. No matter how good my intentions are.. we always end up borrowing too many books or video's or whatever.. and not getting them back on time because we can't find one or something. It's shocking. The library has had 'amnesty' days but they won't wipe out my fine as my items are returned already. Should we ever become active members again and have a clean slate we will have to impose some serious 'balance' as far as borrowing is concerned..and not get borrow-happy..and also have a strict place in the house where borrowed items reside.
Anyway.. I'm rambling..but I was very interested to read how you all love books. I think a book store voucher is *the best* too.. there are so many things you can buy at a bookstore!
Happy Reading! :-)
Post a Comment