Wednesday, 14 October 2009

Times are changing....

I have worked in the state education system for the past ten years as an School services officer, level one in the role of integration aide. The title of S.S.O. was changed last year under the new union agreement, so we are now E.S. which stands for education support. Mind you no one except the union seems to have adopted the new title.

Then last week at a professional development day, we were told that our role is no longer one of integration because we are now in the era of inclusion. So we are the inclusion team and no longer the integration team, but no one seems to be adopting that title either.

I am passionate about helping children reach their potential within the school system, particularly if that child is vulnerable. No, I'm not just talking about the kids with diagnosed special needs. I'm talking about the anxious child that sits at the back of the class and doesn't say boo. I'm talking about the disengaged child that constantly gets thrown out of class. I'm talking about the child that always arrives late because she has been caring for her family. I'm talking about the child that has no concept of self identity and ping pongs off the verbal abuse from others. I'm talking about the quiet lad that draws 'dark' pictures. I'm talking of the child that threatens to kill himself as he can't express himself no other way. Oh, and I work in the primary system.

My current role is to support a child on the autism spectrum so that his anxiety level stays at a level in which he can engage fully in school. We have been able to achieve a really successful year, because of this level of support. However we are having to appeal to get funding for next year when he ventures off to high school, because his application was knocked back.

Yep that's right, this child is succeeding because he has good funding, so now that he is about to make a major life transition, they are taking the funding away. Go figure!

As for my role, I'm on a seven year contract with my current school, but that also depends on funding. so when kids leave the school, the funding goes and therefore our inclusion team of eight is going to be culled by two positions.

The system in place is for us to individually see the principal i.e. you should really consider keeping me on because...blah blah blah

So from that a couple of people will be redundant. HOWEVER, if more funded children happen to be enrolled late this year or early neext year, those retrenched staff may be re employed on short contracts AND we get to work as one happy team again! Well that's the plan.

As this new inclusion team of educational support workers, our role is being redefined, in a not so gradual, not so well communicated way. I've got an idea of what the desired outcome is and I'm actually in favour of some aspects of it. However there are elements of our current role that I believe need to be kept and then there's the issue of valuing the inclusions team knowledge and experience so that the transition can be smooth and fine tuned to meet everyone's needs.

So what does all this mean to me?
Last year i believe the Lord led me to take on study in counselling anf family therapy and I had no clear idea of where that was/is to lead. I justified it by knowing that I would achieve heaps of personal growth and it could in fact be useful in working withthe kids I encounter each day.

The reality is that the work load has been massive, as has the self growth, and I still am not completely sure where it is leading. What I do know is that i have a stronger urge to work with vulnerable kids, of all ages.

I have tried to work out what I should be doing next year in regards to study. Do I jump straight into year two, do I have a year off, a half year off? and on that question I have no idea.

I do know that I have been very time deprived this year. There has been little time for connecting to people or for relaxing, and that has made life quite stressful at times.

In the next few weeks, I will know of my job prospects for next year, and I will know the outcome of this year's study. In addition to that, I hope to have a clearer indication of where the Lord wants me to be and what direction I am to head in, because whatever I do, I want it to be for His glory and not my own.

1 comment:

Karen L said...

Hi Gail,
I so understand your passion for working with these kids and the uncertainly of your future as that has been my life for the past 14 years. Fortunately for us in Qld, as of April this year we now have guaranteed hours in our positions. This doesn't mean that we will keep our positions at our current schools but never the less there will be a position for us somewhere in the system. There is definately something very rewarding in seeing the difference in a child when they are offered some one on one support. Will be thinking of you and praying for clear direction for you.