This year I am in the Year Six team at school, but today the child I normally assist was away, hence I was sent down to the Prep room, to help the teacher with a child who is having trouble settling in.
It was a full on day. I was able to provide an individual schedule for this child with consultation with the teacher. We managed to complete all the class set tasks, but also included ample time away from the class for the child to relax. During this 'relax' time, we managed to do maths with the building blocks and conversation skills with the dolls house.
I loved the challenge of working with this child. I believe with consistant assistance that this child will assimilate well into the school structure, but it will be a gentle learning curve that will take most of the year.
The frustration is that it takes money to provide such intensive assistance and unless a child has a documented history before entering school, it is virtually impossible to receive the needed funding.
So we are left to stretch the current resources and fill in the gaps when and where we can.
I am passionate about helping these children to reach their potential, yet feel so helpless when faced with the framework inwhich we have to function.
Tonight I will pray for this child's family and for other families who are finding the start of the school year a struggle. I pray that those with the power to distribute finances, will keep a check on the realities that schools are facing and place value on this future generation.



1 comment:
Oh i so hear you and that child is so blessed to have you as a helper. What a gift!
Love to you mate :)
Lus x
Post a Comment