Saturday, 3 May 2008

Shopping

This is a low pay week [as in Mal gets paid weekly, but I just fortnightly], hence I try to be a bit more restrained on the low pay weeks. However today I went out to Big W in search of a square clothes horse [no idea why they are called that and in fact there's probably a more modern name, but that's my pommy upbringing coming out]. I particularly wanted a square one as it would fit perfectly beside the coonara wood heater. Anyway for various reasons I ended up buying two small regular ones and they only cost six something dollars each. Bargain. But then I noticed that Trill birdseed is so much cheaper there - so I got three packets, then there were toilet rolls on special so I got a bulk pkt of those, then the new bra I had brought recently,[that was oh so comfy] were also on special so I grabbed two more of those, then I remembered that I needed slippers [almost brought the sheepskin ones then got a visual of my daughters diaspproving face and got the cheaper synthetic ones], plus of course a mothers day gift and a must have pattern ruler for scrapbooking. Result- over 100 dollars spent! Yep all really good value, but this week!! I had already had an unexpected need for medications at the chemist which set me back $60.
So spending more than I intend is a bug bare of mine, but so is having the shops over crowded with people. I'm sure some people see 'shopping' as a leisure activity these days, rather than an errand, as there always seems to be so many people out doing it.
My shooping trip was completed with a visit to the grocery store [another place I loathe], to pick up the bits I need for the upcoming week. I have finally taken over the evening cooking as it was driving me crazy not being able to plan the grocery list and having so much food not being used. So now, I will cook each week night and the weekends are available for anyone, but I have a weekly menu up.
Mon -spaghetti bol or lasagne
Tues - meat and veg or stirfry
Wed - curry chickpeas and veg [mince]
Thurs - Spinich and ricotta canannoli
Fri - homemade pizza or similar
Sat - BBQ
Sun - roast
Hence Mal is now in the kitchen getting the vegies ready to go with His and James' kebabs and I'll make up some vegie rissoles.
The other store I went to was 'The Word' which sells mainly books but also DVD's and CD's and gifts. I had ordered The Christ Files, as I have seen part of them and wanted to view the rest. Of course I also indulged in a couple of 'cheap' books, as I just love a good read.
So that was my afternoon, having dropped Rhiannon at work for 1pm and then collecting her at 4pm to head home.

1 comment:

maria said...

I call them clothes horses too Gail.. and sometimes feel like I'm saying it wrong.. so I say "clothes hangers" and terms to that effect but it doesn't feel right!

Re: low pay weeks and going into a shop to buy one thing, I can SO relate. A few dollars here and there and of course.. every bit is needed!

I'd come to your place on Thursday for canneloni (YUM!) except my girl is still deciding where she'll have her birthday tea -so I'm most likely going to be eating with the family that night ;-) I don't think I've ever written a weekly menu list and followed it through. I usually end up cooking 2 out of the 7 items!