Tuesday, 4 September 2007

Waiting

I am currently on a 12 month contract for my position of integration aide, which is quite common, as the position depends on funding which fluctuates.
The position was advertised last week, along with 7 other similar positions [which are my collegues]. In addition to those positions we have staff who are currently on shorter contracts or casual who are also interested in having a longer contract, so they too will be applying as well of course as anyone else in the system throughout Victoria.
As I have now had two concurrent year contracts with the school, I can be redeployed to one of the positions. This means that when all the applications are in, I will be chosen over someone who does not have this status. So for the eleven current workers, there are eight positions and seven of us are redeployable.
So you may think, that sounds good, as it ensures that I will get a position, and as things go we do not have to go through the process of applying if there are enough positions for the redeployed. However to create so many positions, 7out of 8 have been advertised at reduced hours. So to determine who gets the full hour position, we will still need to go through the interview process.
Hence my application is in, I have formally responded that I want to be redeployed, and soon we will be called in for interview.

So that's the process. The reality is that you have a team of workers who work co operatively together to provide a wide range of support services to integrated children. We liase with teachers, parents and specialists to deliver a program to meet the children's individual needs.
We support each other with the highs and lows, as sometimes "WE ARE THE AIDE" and other times "we are 'just' the aide". We each have areas of expertise and as a team we utilise those strengths.

Yet this week we are in a shroud of secrecy as we pit our selves against each other. Whoever has the best mastery of words and presents well, will come out on top. But it may be the quieter spoken, less literate person, who has the practical skills needed to help the child reach their potential.

A fair system, probably not. But I chose to 'play their game', as I have a passion to help these children succeed. So my mantra for this week is, "it's not personal, just business", and I can't wait until the process is over, and we can get back to concentrating on what we do best.

7 comments:

maria said...

Oh Gail.. it doesn't sound straight forward at all to me.. all of this 'procedure'..and processes. Sign of the times!? I do wish you well getting what you want.. It sounds like your heart is most certainly in the right place.. lets hope you are rewarded accordingly. I hope this isn't too stressful for you? Best wishes to you :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail, just thought I'd pop in to say hello and introduce myself, i'm also doing the 12 wk challenge so wish you the best of luck and will pop in again soon, cheers Bree :)

Shar said...

Good luck with the process Gail. And thanks for the great clips...it's a lot of fun visiting your place!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gail, l really don't get these government departments sometimes, if something is working fine why change it but no they seem to get joy in advertising the same jobs every 12 months... Good luck and l hope you and those that deserver the positions get them... Look foward to hearing the results...

Margaret said...

Hi Gail. This is going to be a bit of a weird message so I will just jump in and start.

Firstly - Good luck with the SITS challenge. I am doing it too and I hope we all kick collective butt.

Secondly - When I got to your website I saw the link you have to Imogens site. This gave me a huge jolt and reminded me to ring a close friend here in Sydney to ask about her niece who underwent a double lung transplant. It was Imogen. A more freaky thing could not have taken place this morning.

My friend, Liesa, says she remembers you and said you were wonderful in the way you helped Imogen. I am so happy that the work you do is recognised as so valuable by the parents and family of these kids.

I hope you get the position you want at the hours and rates you need. Sometimes it is very hard for me to understand why we, as a government and a nation, pay those who are most important to us (carers, teachers, hospital workers etc) so little. Good luck and please excuse the long rant!!

Have a great week :)

Anonymous said...

Will be wishing you all the best!

maria said...

I decided I'd watch the video clip in full (Big Girls Don't Cry) and I had a quiet sook while I did. I needed to get it out of me I think. Also, didn't realise Fergie had such nice 'green ruffle' style knickers that she looked positively sexy in. The ruffles would 'smooth' out on me and just look like creased and bunched up knickers! :-P