About two weeks ago, a past student invited me to his debutante ball. I eagerly accepted as this young man is very dear to me.
I met this young man when he was nearly five years old and attending kindergarten. I was employed to be a kinder assistant to assist this boy. He had limited speech and found the world a bit overwhelming.
When he started school, I was asked to take on the position of integration aide. I remained at that school fire seven years as this child progressed from prep to grade six. we had some incredible times together. Many challenges, but awesome rewards. This child taught me alot about life. we enjoyed noticing the smallest of details, and I was constantly in awe of his amazing memory. To this day I miss the daily interaction with him and his incredible mind. So I was honoured to receive his call and invitation.
When he needed to have another go at grade six, I ded it was time to part company. I had no intention of moving nto the high school system, and he needed time to adjust to a new aide in familiar territory before graduating to year seven.
So Friday night, mal and I attended his debutante ball. He and his partnre performed three dances and then it was announced for all the debutantes to chose a special person from their table to dance with.
He came to the table saying "I chose you Gail" and my heart melted. Here was now very tall young man dressed in a suit inviting me to dance. I will treasure ds forever.
So I accepted and we danced, and danced and danced.
I was a favourite partner for most of the evening until he noticed two very attractive young females, then I was dumped as he persued them for company! This young teen is no different to his peers after all. lol
By the way, it's the 'maccareena' being preformed above. we had a very trendy D.J. who entertained us marvously.



2 comments:
Great photo! And you looked lovely.. from what I can see! Was that a long dress? Or top and pants? So glad you had a good time and I'm sure you made his day by accepting the invite and being there for him.
You gorgeous thing you!!!
What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful young man. God bless you Gail for being there for him all those years. What a reward to have that special night + dance.
All my love to you my lovely friend. I left a comment on my blog for you after your comment (if that makes sense! lol!) but i wanted to say sorry it took so long to thank you for your beautifully thoughful card.
Love you lots,
Lus x
Post a Comment