Tuesday, 23 June 2009

Study

It's been a really busy term. Unlike first term, when I used to escape to the teen space each night and study for three hours, then again on a Saturday for five hours and then again on a Sunday evening. This term I have a new grand daughter to cuddle as I walk in the door, and then there's morning cuddles to allow her mum to sleep a tad longer, and the weekends just seem to be swallowed up with more baby time. This is in no way a chore to me or a hardship, these cuddle times are just moments to treasure, as we mum's [grandma's] know that they grow all too quickly.
But....
That does mean less time to concentrate on study.
This year I am undertaking a certificate of counselling and family therapy. After this year, there is the option of doing an advance diploma next year, and if really keen, a Bachelor the year after. However I am happy to set my sights on just one year, if not one term at a time.

The first year involves lots of self growth, and for it alone, the course is worth doing. However it is also rich in theology, and I am loving that aspect of it too. Last erm I felt overwhelmed by the theology. Being a new Christian, I found it hard to convey my thoughts and knowledge into simple consise words. Knowing what something means to you, and being able to explain it to someone else is not always easy, as I found out.

This term there has been lots of self growth. I feel like I am being stretched in more than one direction, and there seems never enough time to digest and process. At times I have seriously questioned why I thought I would be suitable for this type of work. I don't see myself as the ideal 'people' person. I even got to the point of feeling panic over my inadequacies. So I turned that over to the Lord. It was He that steered me to this course, and He that has provided all I have needed so far, both pratically and emotionally. So I reckon he can take my fears over this and let me know if I should continue.

So being the faithful Lord He is, He showed me.

There's a young lad at school that I have worked with on and off for three and a half years. He has disengaged from school and although receiving some help, I feel that it is not even scratching the surface. He is often defensive, and doesn't always respond well to my precence. Yesterday I sat next to him in class and as we casualy chatted, he opened up. He spoke of the help he's receiving and openly said he hates counsellors, yet he kept on talking to me. We spoke [I mainly listened] for nearly 30 minutes. There was no defensiveness, no smart answers, just a young lad speaking openly about his life. I offered no answers but affirmed that I was hearing him, that he is worth listening to. The Lord had showed me that I can make a difference.

I have a heart for kids that often fall beneath the radar. The kids that aren't necessarily disengaged from school, but are disengaged from life. They are the ones that don't display bad behaviour, but often sit silently. Often alone in class, often alone in the playground and feeling alone at home. These kids are anxious, wanting to please, so appear to be the good kids in class, quietly doing their work, trying to please, trying to be noticed for being good.

So I think I a exactly where the Lord wants me to be.

Tomorrow, [very] early, I head off to Melbourne. Another adventure out of my comfort zone. I have to head out to the suburbs to meet a class mate who will drive me to the small group meeting. Then I will sleep over at her house and get a lift to college on thursday. Then after college I go home with another class mate and stay until Saturday, then after class on Saturday, I head back to the city and catch the bus/train home. Ths is my third trip this year for the intensive training days. The days are from 9am to 5pm and are very intense as they contain all our instruction for the next term. Then we are given three essays, weekly journal, and an array of counselling exercises [which include two more melbourne trips], all to be completed in our own time/way during the upcoming term.

So my work-school holidays start next week, and I know they will be utilised to get a head start on the term's work load, as well as lots of precious moments with my grand daughter!

1 comment:

jerriann said...

wow, what a great God moment. I am sure you made a difference in his life. The best thing you did was listen and show him that he is worth listening too.

I admire your pereseverance to reach out and help others and to stay with something when it hurts, like streching your brain.

I just finished the book "Crazy Love" by Frances Chan. He talks alot about the lukewarm christian and that in fact there is no such thing because you can't be lukewarm and still be a follower of Christ. Anyway part of what he is saying is the helping others, it is a great read.