Friday, 22 April 2011

Birthday Celebrations

Today we celebrated Helena's second birthday with an afternoon tea. Nothing extravegant, basically family with shop brought treats, yet it signified a very special milestone.

This young lady and her mum have lived with us for the past year, as well as for the first three months of her young life. It has been a time full of ups and downs, and yet we are so grateful that we are such a special part of her life. How awesome it is to be able to see her everyday and to be able to share the simple daily tasks, like mealtimes, gardening and reading stories.

Yes it makes the house more crowded, yes it is more noisy, more messy and more hectic, but the joys certainly outway all of this.

The big yellow ball was part of a gift from her great aunt and cousins, and it was the highlight of the afternoon as Helena threw it to various people anad chased it around the yard.





Helena opening her presents from Sarge and GG. The Night garden book has lots of bits to pull and move as well as the theme music fo rthe last page. Her other favourite is Dorothy from the Wiggles, hence a wiggle colouring book accompanied the book.





Aunt Annie and Uncle Jay got her some playdough and it was a big hit with the teens as well as the young lady herself. Let's admit it, everyone loves playdough!


So now the day is coming to a close, Helena hasn't slept today so is rather tired, but is currently in the kitchen helping Sarge organise dinner. She is quite the organiser these days, giving orders and watching every move.


We will have her birthday cake after dinner, more photos, then I'll have them printed, so that I can complete the last couple of scrap pages for her second album.


Then she'll be going to bed, a routine that is almost effortless these days. She has a small milo and her favourite music on, and blows kisses and waves to everyone as she says nigh nigh.


Once she is in bed, and a quick pick up is done, then I will have some quiet time and reflect.


As today isn't just Helena's birthday, it is also Good Friday, the day that everything seems to stop for. It's bizzare really. Our contemporary society that seems to have no time for Christ, still comes to a stand still as we have a day to remember His sacrifice.


For Christians, it isn't the only time that we remember what happened on that Cross, but it certainly is a time that we reflect more and consider where we are in our walk of faith. That's where I am at today, thinking, pondering, reflecting, and thanking my Lord.

1 comment:

maria said...

It has been a while since I visited you.. I guess I thought that 'everyone' stopped blogging. Your whole site has changed!

Thanks for sharing Helena's birthday and all the lovely family photo's :)

Have a wonderful Sunday.

p.s. I'd love to write more about me in my blog.. in addition to the recipes and foodie stuff. The weekly radio/recipe commitment seems to overtake. I have so many unwritten restaurant reviews too..and just photo's that I take with my phone.. just life.. and it's not shared... I miss that.