Friday, 18 March 2011

Teeth

I have never liked my teeth. They have ben the cause of much pain and fear over the years. As a youngster I remember the big heavy yucky smelling mask that would knock me out and the nauseating feeling when I came to in the dentist chair. As a teen I remember knocking back the idea of braces to straighten my teeth as the image of a friend's cut gums was just a bit much. Then as my own kids got older and were given the benefits of having braces, I realised what dental issues I could have avoided with a better bite. BUT technology has changed greatly over the years, and I still don't think I would have said yes to the original offer.

So I now have an upper plate with five replacement teeth attached and my bottom molars are full of old silver fillings. Well that was until tonight.

While scrapbooking with a couple of teens and enjoying the taste of soft jelly lollies, out popped a filling. Not just any filling, but a complete back molar filling, which is huge!

The result is a jaggered hollow tooth. The inner side almost equal to the gum and the outerside normal height. This momentary event has turned my whole weekend outlook upside down. it's Friday night, I have no idea if a dentist will be available tomorrow.

I have a very healthy fear of the dentist, and that's just my own dentist, I am absolutely petrified of the idea of goin got an unknown dentist due to my past experiences. Tears well up just thinking of it. The irony is that I went with a friend to the dentist for support last month, as she faced her fear of having a tooth removed. The ironary being in the admiration I had for her to have it out in the chair! My last chair tooth extractions were nothing short of terrifying. Even the dentist had been amazed at how deep my roots were and the effort needed to remove it. I vowed never to have one taken out while in the chair ever again.

So now I have the prospect of going to an unknown dentist, who may belittle my fears and ignore my warnings of deep roots and want to attempt a chair extraction.

The reality is that whatever tomorrow has in store for me is in the Lord's hands, and although it is right for me to be concerned in choosing the best treatment that is available to me, it is of no benefit to have needless worry about what is out of my control. That is what I will remember when going to bed tonight.

2 comments:

lusi said...

Hi lovely Gail! So sorry to hear about your awful past dental experiences. Bretts past experiences were very similar. I'll pray you are led to a compassionate and caring dentist who will take all your experiences into account and do his/her best to allay your fears.
Praying that Yah will lead you and comfort you through it all mate.
Loads of love,
Lus x

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lusi, I was relatively pain free over the weekend, so waited to phone my own dentist this morning, and he was able to see me this afternoon. No pain, no trauma, just a temp filling and some reassuring news of being able to save the tooth via a filling in a couple of months time. A wonderful outcome, that I thank the Lord for. I had turned to him rather than to allow myself to dwell in anxious thoughts. Thanks for your prayers.love Gail